Monday, August 3, 2009

Chapter 10 Reflection

Chapter 10 is about distance education and using technology to redefine what a classroom is. I found the timeline on distance education very interesting to read. I know I always think of distance education as an online class for college students and had never considered that in times of little technology distance education still existed. Completing an online class is hard enough for me with a computer using online systems such as blackboard to lay everything out. I can't imagine using mail as a means of learning in a distance education class. After thinking about it I have considered that perhaps it was easier to use distance education by way of mail. Think about it, if you got a package in the mail of all your papers, assignments and notes all laid out in order for you to complete you wouldn't have to worry about different links and finding assignments in the mess that blackboard can be in some classes. I wouldn't want to give up my computer and electronic resources but professors who aren't as good with using technology may be better at using a mail system of distance education. I don't really like distance education classes myself because I enjoy the face-to-face part of learning. Plus I think that it is harder to make sure you have all your work done and don't miss things because you didn't find the right link in the blackboard or because you just overlooked it.

2 comments:

  1. It's so cool to finally meet another AYA Social Studies major! Usually when I tell people what I'm majoring in ( I say History Education because they can't seem to remember the meaning of Social Studies) I usually get met with a wide variety of grunts,groans and even the occasional ewwww.. BUT I'm glad someone else enjoys the subject as much as I do!! Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AYA Social Studies majors represent!

    I have the same problem with the blank look when I say my major, Liz. I think we all do when we wander off the BG reservation.

    ReplyDelete